Tuesday 15 February 2011

Assignment 1 : Contrasts

The assignment task is to demonstrate visual contrasts in pairs of images. For example a photograph that represents the word "Heavy" paired with another that is indicative of the word "Light". From the given list of 21 contrasting pairs, I selected 11 and have narrowed that selection down to eight which are as follows;

Transparent / Opaque

Transparent

















In the image entitled "Transparent" it was my intention to highlight the literal transparency of reading glasses as well as the way in which they help people with less than perfect vision to see things more clearly. For this photograph I focused on the writing seen through the left side lens and used an aperture of f2.8 to blur most of the other detail. Shot using natural light coming through a window, a shutter speed of 1/25th of a second was used with a focal length of 50mm

Opaque
For the contrasting "Opaque" image I simply had my model stand behind a pane of frosted glass in an interior door. The scene was lit using natural light again from a window to the left. I wanted to use a reflector on the right hand side to even up the lighting a little but it was physically impossible to fit anything in to the confined space. I decided to crop in slightly to the facial features as it seems to have a more dramatic effect. Tripod mounted, a focal length of 70mm was used and the image was shot at 1/10th of a second at f4.5. Due to the low light iso800 was selected.














Broad / Narrow

Broad

To demonstrate "Broad" I decided to photograph the Martello Tower at Seaford. The broad base narrowing slightly towards the top seemed to illustrate the word perfectly. Using a focal length of 31mm I tried to avoid tilting the camera so as not to distort the image with converging verticals. I waited for someone to walk into the frame to give a sense of scale and was very lucky to have this small family do exactly that. The stepped shadows was a resultant happy accident! An exposure of 1/800th of a second at f8 was used.

Narrow
I decided to shoot the contrasting image "Narrow" in monochrome. It added a sense of confinement to an already constricted scene. I placed the end of the alleyway right in the centre of the frame and used a focal length of 19mm to instill an almost claustrophobic feeling the farther into the image you go. Adding a person has again given the photograph a sense of scale albeit a narrow one. I used an exposure of 1/60th of a second and selected the widest aperture of f2.8 for narrow depth of field.















Continuous / Intermittent

Continuous

















The image "Continuous", shot at 50mm and exposed for 1/800th of a second at f8, hasn't turned out exactly as I planned. I had to be on and off site quite quickly and my intention was to get a lower angle of view. I knew where to find the straightest section of track and it perfectly shows a continuous line disappearing into the distance.

Intermittent

















The contrasting image, "Intermittent" is a close up shot of a metal bench seat. The cut-out slots are broken intermittently in two directions, up/down and side-to-side. I went in close with a 105mm lens and stopped down to f14 to add some depth of field. I included the seat curve in the frame to give the image some movement.




Pointed / Blunt

Pointed

















I found some beach huts to demonstrate "Pointed" and selected the one with the most pointed apex. I moved in close under it and shot at 17mm pointing upwards to accentuate the angle. I then had  to determine how to balance the frame and decided that giving the subject about 40% of the composition against the sky seemed about right. An exposure of 1/400th of a second at f9 was used.

Blunt

















The contrasting image entitled "Blunt" is a close up shot of a pestle, the most blunt implement I could think of. By shooting at a slight angle from above I have tried to include as much of the blunt surface as possible without making it appear flat. I also turned the chipped area towards the camera to add some depth and texture. Continuous lighting from above was used with a white reflector below and slghtly to the left to fill in the shadow. I set the aperture to f13 to obtain as much detail as I could whilst keeping the shutter speed below 1 second.




Liquid / Solid

Liquid

















I had decided at an early stage that I wanted a reflection to demonstrate "Liquid" but finding the right image was difficult. Eventually I drove past this puddle on a country lane and stopped to capture the image. I took the shot from quite a low angle so that I could position the brown grass tops in the reflection without having them appear in the top of the image. As a result of this the reflection blends virtually seamlessly into the grassy bank and if you invert the picture it almost looks as though it isn't a reflection at all. In the foreground I decided to keep the shallow part of the puddle with debris to add to the sense of liquidity. Exposed at 1000th of a second at f8

Solid

















I remember this wall being built and thought it would give a perfect example of the contrast to liquid, "Solid". I had to shoot from a corner to give some depth and the impression of solidity as a flat wall would have been exactly that. Flat, with no sense of mass. Bringing the corner about one third into the frame and concentrating the viewers eyes firmly on that one solid brick gives a real sense of strength to the image. This was shot on an overcast day using an exposure of 1/200th of a second at f8.





Light / Dark

Light
For the image representing "Light" I shot directly into the light. I wanted a silhouette in the frame so I chose myself for this, firing the shutter with a remote release. The composition was a little tricky. I tried using the breakwater as a lead in line to the figure, from a slightly different angle. That didn't work. In the end I set the silhouetted figure off to the left and ran the larger object, the breakwater, in towards the centre of the frame. In this instance I think it works reasonably well. A focal length of 17mm was used and an exposure of 1/2000th of a second at f8 with a graduated ND4 filter














Dark

















I also wanted a silhouetted figure for the contrasting "Dark" image. A rock concert provided the opportunity and I got myself into position very early while the band were tuning up. At this time there were no lights to the front of the stage and the projector screen behind gave me the backlight I needed to create this image. The white guitar was a great subject to set the horizon to so I tilted the camera to add a little drama. This photograph was taken at 1/160th of a second at f2.8 with a focal length of 38mm.






Smooth / Rough

Smooth

















The picture depicting "Smooth" is a large garden pebble on a bed of shingle. I used a 105mm lens and set the aperture to f4 to achieve a nice shallow depth of field which I believe adds to the emphasis of "smooth".

Rough

















For the contrasting image of "Rough" the humble Shredded Wheat seemed like the perfect subject. It was actually shot indoors using natural light through a window although the background used could be mistaken for sky. I included the edge of the biscuit  to highlight the roughness shown by it. To obtain maximum depth of field I shot with the aperture set at f32 requiring a shutter speed of .8 of a second. Again the 105mm lens was used.




Black / White

Black

















For this pair of images I wanted to shoot black on black and white on white. For the image representing "Black" I placed a pool ball on a black glass table. I used continuous lighting to avoid flash reflections off the ball. The lighting was set to the left and slightly to the rear to give a rimlight effect. I deliberately underexposed the image so that the foreground blended seamlessly into the subject. Placing the white circled "8" to the front but off centre added depth. I tweaked the levels slightly in Photoshop to finish up with this effect. The 105mm lens was used and an exposure of 1 second at f3.2.

White
My "white" image is simply three radiator tubes against a white wall. Again, natural light through a window from the left was used. I also placed a white reflector to the right to help eliminate unwanted shadows from that side of the photograph. A 1/8th of a second exposure was used at f5.6 and a focal length of 45mm.




















Contrast within a single frame.


Straight / Curved

Straight / Curved
My contrast within a single frame image is a reflection of the curved City Hall building in the straight lines of the Norton Rose building at Bankside in London. I used a 50mm focal length for this shot and a small amount of cropping was required to remove people from the foreground. The photograph was taken at 1/400th of a second at f5.6.


















Assignment 1 feedback


Tutor Report Form

Student name:
Robert German
Student number:
507010
Course/Module title:
Art of Photography
Assignment number:
1

Overall Comments


The assignment's images illustrate some good uses of a variety of light sources, and a reasonable range of techniques. Some of the subject choices were a little stilted, whereas others worked very well indeed (particularly 'Dark'). Exposures are mostly good (see my later comment), as are sharpness and colour balance.

Some images are 'ticking the box' of satisfying the theme of the image (rough, smooth, solid & blunt) without sufficient consideration of artistic input (The 'Art of Photography' module). The assignment images should be the best shots you can take (which some of this set may well be), the 'theme' is just a parameter that the image needs to satisfy in order to show that you can choose, and show, images of concepts.

A stop or two of exposure compensation is required to lighten some of the lighter toned subjects e.g. Transparent, Blunt and Smooth. Either use the camera's manual setting or add +1 or +2 stops when shooting; check the histogram of the image to see if there is an even spread of tones in the image.

If you continue to improve during this module, producing more eye-catching images (as with several in this assignment), I see no reason why you shouldn't go on to do well at assessment.

Feedback on assignment

Transparent/opaque
Transparent is a creative still-life that just needs lifting by some direct light to create light and shade, which would also create focused highlights due to the lenses. The camera's auto-exposure has been fooled by the white paper into under-exposing by around 2 stops.
Opaque is a more accomplished image; it is slighly surreal in some ways. It stems from imaginative use of a simple technique; shooting through translucent glass. The level of softness is spot on - I can just about make out all of the features.

Broad/narrow
I like the dimensions of the broad building - it appears squat and fore-shortened. The people add extra interest which was needed, but I particularly like the inclusion of their shadows which are nicely separated.
The narrow image makes great use of the wide angle setting to create the tunnel effect with exaggerated perpective. The natural framing has centered attention on the figure at the end so it would have been good if they were facing us, or had a more animated pose.

Continuous/intermittent
Continuous is a very clear, straight run of track. It's not a view I'd normally recommend for anyone else, but I guess you know what you're doing. The light from the side shows up the relief of the tracks very well, and there is a good reflection of the sky on the tops of the rails; all it needs is a train to bring it to life.
Intermittent is a well observed pattern shot. It could also have been used for 'curved'. I like the subtlety of the reflections and highlights. I think there is just enough detail in the pattern and curve to hold interest in the image. The composition is helped a lot by the diagonal orientation of the curve, leading the eye through the frame.

Pointed/blunt
The peeling paint and strong graphic lines contrast really well with the more naturalistic patterned sky. The colour range is limited to whites and blues, adding to the strength of the impact. The tricky exposure has come out very well considering the level of contrast.
The blunt image is really too simple to be a sufficiently striking image to stand out in this set. There isn't enough input from you to make anything of it creatively. It also suffers from the under-exposure mentioned earlier.

Liquid/solid
The water in your liquid image has a still surface that maximises the reflections. The light, colour and exposure are all great. I am just left a little disappointed that the reflections are of grasses and not something more interesting/exciting.
The solid image is exactly that; it is competently shot in terms of composition, sharpness, colour saturation, exposure etc. There is not much more I can say really except that I can't see it making the list of your top 30 best images, just because of the subject matter.

Light/dark
Light is certainly a more imaginative shot than many others here. It is difficult to get a shot into the sun that includes colour, texture and tones in the rest of the image, but you have managed it. The composition feels a little awkward as the groyne and the sun almost line up but are too strong together to balance the man on the left; just move a little to the left and recompose to set the groyne on a more diagonal direction.
Your dark image is the best shot here, in fact the best student shot I've seen so far this year: It has bags of atmosphere. The guitar, gutarist and mic are all clear but the reduction in detail, by choosing a low exposure, has produced a stylized effect almost like a graphic design. The exposure gives just enough information to see all the components of the composition (imaginatively aligned with the guitar), whilst still showing that the venue is dark and moody. Some of the graphics behind are a bit distracting (on the right) and could perhaps be cloned out.

Smooth/rough
Smooth could be likened to 'blunt', with similar comments, although the exposure here is better and there is the added interest of the background colours. There really needs to be a reflected highlight from a smooth object, to show the 'smoothness' (as in your 'black' shot).
The rough image is unusual and could have been great with some directional lighting; as with smooth, the property (rough or smooth) doesn't show up if the lighting isn't right (this is the subject of assignment 4). Some light and shade would show the individual strands off so that the texture was clearly rough.

Black/white
Your black shot is simple and straight to the point. There is just enough detail on the edge of the ball to show the shape, and the composition is quite dynamic: simple but effective.
The white shot has less detail and shape to it; hence I don't find it works quite as well. It is subtle, so you need to look hard to see the variations in tone and form. I think it just about comes off, but I would add a bit more contrast to the shot, just to lift it a little.

Straight & curved
You have managed to combine both buildings into the one shot whilst keeping the framing tight, excluding any distractions from around the area. The lone tree in the light has a good outline to add interest to the mass of man-made forms of the buildings. It silhouettes well against the splash of colour in the bottom corner. I would be tempted to boost the contrast and colour just a little to add some more impact, but otherwise it is a good image.

Learning logs/critical essays
Don't forget to update your log with any activities, plans and thoughts about your work.

Suggested reading/viewing
I recommend reading 'Basics Photography: Lighting' by David Prakel. Also look at Section 4 of this module 'lighting' (just read it for now), to see how the size of the light source, its direction and its distance from the subject, affect how harsh or soft the lighting is and how texture is rendered.

Tutor name:
Derek Trillo
Date
03/03/11
Next assignment due
07/04/11



Based on the feedback received from Derek on my first assignment I went about the task of correcting some of the weaker images. As far as possible I tried to keep to the original idea although I have substituted the "liquid" image with another that I shot shortly after submitting my assignment.

Transparent

Transparent

For the second attempt at this shot I placed a tungsten lamp above left of the subject and took the picture similarly to the original submission. 









Blunt



Liquid

Liquid

The replacement for the "Liquid" image is basically a similar concept but with a lot more interest in the frame.












Rough

Rough

Similarly to "Transparent", this image lacked some directional lighting to really highlight the texture of the biscuit.










White

White

As advised by Derek I have boosted the contrast and tweaked the brightness and exposure to improve this image slightly





















No comments:

Post a Comment